Romantic Pairs of Bollywood of Old Era
Image Source - Leader Movie (for information only)
In the 1950s and 1960s, many romantic pairs entertained the audiences including Raj Kapoor - Nargis, Dilip Kumar - Vaijayantimala, Rajender Kumar - Sadhna, Guru Dutt - Wahida Rehman to mention a few. The pairs made the characters look real.
In the 1950s and 1960s, there were different pairs of actors and actresses who glorified Indian films. While some of the pairs acted in series of romantic films which were successful, but other pairs had acted in less number of films yet, those films became big hits.
- Dilip Kumar was initially cast opposite Nargis and both of them acted in 7 films together. Out of them Babul, Andaz, Deedar, Jogan were big hits. Andaz in 1949 was the 2nd biggest blockbuster of the year.
- Raj Kapoor and Nargis were the most successful pair of the 1950s with films like Barsaat (greatest blockbuster of 1949), Awaara, Shree 420 (greatest blockbuster of 1955), Chori Chori being great hits. Awara was the greatest hit of 1951 and for one decade. But Madhubala was initially cast more opposite Raj Kapoor in films like Neel Kamal, Dil Ki Rani, Do Ustad, etc.
But the viewers accepted Madhubala opposite Dilip Kumar in films like Tarana, Sangdil, etc. Madhubala Dilip Kumar starrer Mughal I Azam was the greatest blockbuster of 1960 and the record continued for 15 years.
- Vaijayantimala acted in maximum films opposite Dilip Kumar and the pair struck gold in films like Nayadaur (2nd biggest blockbuster of 1957), Madhumati (biggest blockbuster of 1958), Ganga Jumna (biggest blockbuster of 1961). At the same time Vaijayantimala Raj Kapoor combination in Nazrana and Sangam was well accepted by the viewers. Sangam was the greatest blockbuster of 1964.
- Rajender Kumar had great pair with Sadhna giving hit films like Mere Mehboob (greatest blockbuster of 1963), Aarzoo ( super hit film of 1965). Rajender Kumar acted in maximum films opposite Vaijayantimala and most of them like Aas Ka Panchi, Zindagi, Suraj ended up being golden jubilee or silver jubilee hits.
- Ashok Kumar combination with Madhubala struck gold in films like Mahal, Howrah Bridge. Dev Anand had successful combination with Suraiya and Wahida Rehman. His hit films opposite Wahida Rehman included Solwa Sal, Guide, Kala Bazaar.
- Manoj Kumar had successful films opposite Mala Sinha. Their pair struck gold in films like Hariyali Aur Raasta, Himalay Ki God Me. Joy Mukherjee was very successful opposite Sadhna in films like Love in Simla and Ek Musafir Ek Haseena. Joy Mukherjee combination with Asha Parekh was also grand as the films Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon, Ziddi and Love in Tokyo were the greatest hits of Joy Mukherjee’s career.
- Shammi Kapoor had super hit film Junglee opposite Saira Banu. At the same time his pair with Rajashree gave super hit films like Janwar and Brahmchari.
- Pradeep Kumar had royal image and his pair suited the best opposite Meena Kumari. The great combination acted brilliantly in films like Aarti, Chitralekha, Bheegi Raat, Bahu Begum, Noorjahan. Aarti and Bheegi Raat were super hit films.
- Bharat Bhushan had great combination with Madhubala. His films opposite Madhubala including Gateway of India, Phagun, Barsaat Ki Raat were all successful. Guru Dutt made realistic films, but in those films also his pair with Wahida Rehman was well accepted by the viewers. The successful films of Guru Dutt and Wahida Rehman included Pyaasa, Chaudavi Ka Chand, Saheb Biwi Aur Ghulam.
- Rajender Kumar had great pair with Saira Banu and his films Ayee Milan Ki Bela, Aman and Jhuk Gaya Aasman became smash hits. Jeetender rose to stardom with the film Geet Gaya Pattharone in 1963. He acted in other films opposite Rajashree like Gunahon Ki Devta. Shashi Kapoor gave hit films opposite Nanda like Jab Jab Phool Khilen, Neend Hamari Khwab Tumhari, Muhobbat is ko Kehte Hai, to name a few.
- Raj Kapoor combination opposite Padmini was grand including films lik Jis Desh Me Ganga Behti Hai, Aashiq and Mera Naam Joker. Mera Naam Joker flopped but the other two films did great business. Biswajit gave hit films opposite Rajashree. Their hit films included Do Dil, Shenai, Sagaai. Kishore Kumar gave super hit films opposite Madhubala like Chalti Ka Naam Gari, Jhumroo, Half Ticket.
- Raj Kumar had good pair with Meena Kumari and most of their films were successful like Dil Apna Preet Parayi, Dil Ek Mandir, Pakizaa to name a few. Sunil Dutt had good combination with Nutan with films like Milan, Sujata being hits.
- There were romantic pairs who acted in one film, but that film itself became hit. For example Guru Dutt and Shyama and Guru and Shakila were seen in the film Aar Paar, but that film became hit in 1954. Shammi Kapoor acted opposite Sharmila Tagore in Kashmir Ki Kali and An Evening in Paris. Both the films became hit.
- Sunil Dutt acted opposite Sadhna in Waqt and Mera Saya. Both the films became hits. Jamuna acted opposite Rajender Kumar in Humrahi in 1963. It became a silver jubilee hit. Saroja Devi acted opposite Rajender Kumar in Sasural in 1961. It became a silver jubilee hit.
- Geeta Bali acted opposite Raj Kapoor in Bawre Nain in 1950. It became hit. Kamini Kaushal acted opposite Dilip Kumar in Nadiya Ke Paar. It became hit. Nalini Jayant acted opposite Dev Anand in Munimji. It became hit. Ajit acted opposite Meena Kumari in the film Halaku. It was a successful film. Premnath was successful opposite Madhubala in the film Badal and opposite Nimmi in the film Barsaat.
- Even the actors and actresses in realistic films had great pairing. Balraj Sahani and Nutan combination was accepted in the film Seema. Neerupa Rai did well opposite Balraj Sahani in Do Bigha Zameen. Suchitra Sen combined well opposite Dilip Kumar in the film Devdas.
- Johny Walker was successful opposite Helen in the films Jaal, Night in London. Mehmood and Subha Khote acted successfully in many films including Saanz Aur Sawera, Love in Tokyo, Ziddi, to name a few. All these actors and actresses entertained the audience for more than 20 years.
The films had not lost their relevance today. If the appeal had been so universal, it proves the commitment and expertise of the heroes and heroines in those films who could make the characters look real and grand. The films require restoration.
Let us know how you like this article. Like it and Rate it below.
Over the years Hindi films have showcased some of the most sensual and seductive songs. This space brings to life an epic list of the hottest Bollywood songs.
The unknown element that creates awkward moments and makes you cringe in your seat as you watch a movie cannot be explained, it needs to be experienced. Over the years Bollywood has showcased some of the finest thrillers.
Krishnan Kumar popularly known as KK is a versatile playback signer in the Indian film industry. This article brings to life the best KK Bollywood songs.